Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Storybook Favorites

I enjoyed reading Demigod Daycare. I was pretty familiar with all of the stories that were told but I really like how they put it all together and had the muses tell the gods' and goddesses' children about the history. It was really cute how all of the demigods were super curious about their parents and reacted when they found out about some of the stuff. I chose this story because I was very interested in knowing what it was about. The title did a very good job of telling what the story was going to be about.
(Photo of the Nine Muses, Source: Nine Muses)

I also really liked reading The Tales of Hercules as Told By Hera. I've read the real story where Hera hates Hercules and does everything that she can to destroy him. But in this story, it is nice to know her point of view and that the other gods and goddesses are misjudging her. I grew up watching the Disney Hercules and when I read the original myth, I was really shocked that Hera wasn't actually Hercules' mother. But I found this point of view to be very interesting.

Another story that I enjoyed was Tales of Beauty and the Beast. I also grew up watching this Disney's Beauty and the Beast and I've seen other Beauty and the Beast remakes and I find them to be quite interesting. I really like that the author changed the story up and gave Beauty a different back story. I wish it would have been more informational though, but it was still very well written.

2 comments:

  1. I was so happy when I saw the Storybooks you picked here, Heather - two of those (Demigod Daycare and Tales of Hercules) were written by students in the Myth-Folklore class last semester who have come back to do Indian Epics this semester... so that means there will be new Storybooks from them to read! Later in the semester, you'll have a chance to read the Storybooks from that other class, so you can look for KelseyL. and Liza-Ann; I am so curious what topics they will choose this semester! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up looking at the storybooks you chose as your favorites because they really interested me as well. The first one kind of reminds me of the Percy Jackson series in a way, especially the title. Demigod Daycare makes me think of a preschool version of Camp Half Blood. The second storybook interested me because I think Hera's side of the story should be heard. Can you really blame her for hating one of the, like, 300 illegitimate children her husband had with other women?? I also grew up with the Disney version of Hercules and, honestly, I'm a little put off by how much it deviates from Greek mythology. The last one interested me because Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite fairy tales and Disney movies. Thanks for helping me find more wonderful storybooks!

    ReplyDelete