Monday, January 12, 2015

Reading Diary B: Greek Myths: Ovid I

Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 1-4)

Echo: I found this story to be very interesting! I think it's really cool that Bacchus was "twice-born." I've never heard of that before. I think it's really cool that two mating snakes were able to change Tiresius from a man to a woman and vice versa eight years later. This story is also sad because of Echo. She can only repeat words that have been said to her. She can't express her true feelings. It must be so hard for her. When she is able to repeat words to Narcissus that she wants him, she shows herself and he runs scared from her.

Narcissus: I think this story is so funny!! It just amazes me that somebody could fall in love with themselves and become so obsessed. But is it also sad at the same time. For awhile, he doesn't realize that his reflection is the thing that he fell in love with. It's also really sad that he is so torn up about falling in love with something that can't be touched. He is so hurt that he dies and turns into a flower.
(Narcissus, Source:Boston)
Mars and Venus: This story is a little odd. But it amazes me that almost all the gods and goddesses have affairs. It just doesn't make sense to me. I also find it weird that after Vulcan went through all the trouble to make the net that he doesn't punish Venus or Mars. They just laugh about it and "it was the best-known story in all the heavens."


No comments:

Post a Comment