Sunday, January 11, 2015

Reading Diary A: Greek Myths: Ovid I

Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 1-4)

Deucalion and Pyrrha: I'm just wondering.. But what did mankind do to upset Zeus? I know it says 'wicked deeds' but that doesn't really explain anything.. I have read a lot of different myths and I really like the creation myths. It's really interesting to read about how the people were made and what they were made of. I think it's cool how they had to loosen their clothing and throw the rocks behind them.

Io: This story was super interesting! I think it's funny how even though Zeus is married to Hera (who is supposed to be the most beautiful goddess) that he still lusts after different women and goddesses. I think it's really funny how he acts like a normal man in trying to hide the affair too. It's really sad that Io was turned into a cow just so Zeus wouldn't get caught. I really like how it explains how the peacock came to have eyes on its feathers. It is very interesting!

Phaethon and the Sun: At first, I had a little trouble keeping all of the names straight. I had to read it twice before I finally understood who the story was about. I really like how Phaethon was so determined to see if his father was actually Phoebus. He travelled so far just to speak with Phoebus to calm his doubts. I can only imagine how I would act if I was in his place and meeting my father for the first time. But I do think that it's a little odd how he asks Phoebus such a big favor in just meeting him.

Phaethon's Ride: I really like how fatherly Phoebus is being, especially for just meeting. It shows how compassionate he is and how much he actually cares for his son. I just wish Phaethon would have listened to his father's warnings. Phaethon caused so many problems just because he was ignorant and stubborn.

(Phaethon, Source: Prezi)
Castillo: This story was so interesting! It kind of makes me mad how Jupiter takes advantage of all these different women. It's really sad that Juno also punishes Castillo even though it wasn't her fault. I feel like Juno should be a little used to Jupiter having affairs. But I'm really glad that in the end, Jupiter kept Arcas from killing his mother and that he turned them both into constellations. It makes him seem like he actually cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment