Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Myth Folklore Topics Brainstorm

Topic: Mermaid stories from around the world
Comments: I really like mermaids. The Little Mermaid is probably one of my favorite movies ever. When I was little, I also wanted to be a mermaid and would pretend to be a mermaid in the pool. Mermaids are portrayed as such beautiful, graceful creatures and I would love to read about them.
Possible Stories: I could include the Hans Christian Anderson version of The Little Mermaid or the many mermaid stories of the Shetland Islands.
Sample Story Comments: I learned that in the Shetland Island stories, the merpeople can turn into seals with the help of their treasured garb.
Bibliography: 
Sample Story: Mermaid Wife
Book Title: Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
Author: George Douglas

Topics: Witches
Comments: I've always loved reading about the magic that the witches use in the stories. I'd love to read more about the witches and their magic.
Possible Stories: There are three stories in the Czech Folktales Unit that seem interesting.
Sample Story Comments: A witch turns herself into a white horse in order to hide from the farmhand. He takes the horse to a smith and gets the horse shoed. It shows that magic always comes with consequences.
Bibliography:
Sample Story: Three Supernatural Stories
Website: UnTextbook

Topics: Fairies
Comments: I think fairies are so cool! I've loved them ever since I saw Tinkerbell in Peter Pan. I'd love to read more about them.
Possible Stories:There are a few stories on UnTextbook about fairies that seem very interesting.
Sample Story Comments: I absolutely loved the movie and I really enjoyed the story too. I like how different they are from each other.
Bibliography:
Sample Story: Thumbelina
Book Title: The Complete Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales
Author: Hans Christian Andersen

Topics: Dogs
Comments: Dogs are one of my favorite animals so I really want to look into how dogs are portrayed in these stories.
Possible Stories: There are many stories in Aesop's Fables about dogs that seem interesting.
Sample Story Comments: A dog is being really selfish with its food and gets reprimanded by a cow.
Bibliography:
Sample Story:More Dogs
Website: UnTextbook
(Mermaids, Source: Students of the World)

No comments:

Post a Comment