Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Week 4 Storytelling: Scherahazade

Author's Note: In the original story, the Sultan was betrayed by his wife so he had her executed. She had an affair which made the sultan very untrusting of women. From then on, he married a girl in the evening and by the next morning, he had his new wife executed. This cycle repeated until he married Scherahazade who had a plan to tell him a long story in order to keep him from killing any more women. By the end of her story, the Sultan had fallen in love with Scherahazade and made her his queen. I wanted to retell Scherahazade because I think that if the Sultan was so intent on killing every girl that he married, I don't think that he would have constantly waited for a story to end for him to kill Sherahazade. I wanted to change it up because I didn't think that is how the sultan would have actually reacted. I also wanted to show what a father's love could do when he is protecting his children or others that he cares for. I chose this picture because it shows Scherahazade telling her sister, Dinarzade, and the Sultan stories.
(Scherahazade, Source:UnTextbook illustrated by H.J. Ford)
Scherahazade
In a kingdom far off, a sultan and his lovely wife lived together, ruling side by side. He loved her with all his might. He took every moment that he had and spoiled her with the most wonderful riches in the land. One day he found that she deceived him for the past several years. She was having an affair behind the sultan's back. He had no choice but to have the grand-vizir put her to death.

He was so overcome by the treacherousness of his wife that he believed that all women were vile. He believed that the fewer there were the better.

Every evening he married a new girl and the next morning he would have the grand-vizir strangle her. The cycle repeated and every morning the vizir "would see a girl married and a wife dead" the next day.

Everybody in the town was horrified and grieving. They were grieving for the daughters and sisters that were lost and they were horrified that someone in their family would be next. They were all afraid to see who the sultan would choose as his wife next.

The grand-vizir also had two daughters, Scherahazade and Dinarzade. Scherahazade was clever and her father loved her very much. She went to her father and begged him to let her be the next girl to marry the sultan. The vizir was furious with her even suggesting the idea; he knew that she would be killed.

Scherahazade pleaded with her father and told him that she wanted to end the Sultan's barbaric practice. He eventually agreed and hoped that it would work.

So the following day, the grand-vizir went to the Sultan and told him that he wished for the Sultan to have his own daughter as a wife. The sultan was stunned. "You do realize what will happen to her? Very well. If you cannot end her life tomorrow, then your life shall end too."

The vizier went back and told Scherahazade that the sultan had agreed. Scherahazade had called to her sister and said, "As a wedding gift, I will ask the sultan to allow me to have one last night with you. In the morning, you will wake and ask me to tell one of my stories for the last time."

That evening, Scherahazade was married to the Sultan. She begged him to allow her to say goodbye to her sister one last time and he sent for Dinarzade. An hour before dawn, Dinarzade did as she was told and woke her sister. Scherahazade told a wonderful story but stopped when it was time for the sultan to begin his day.

He asked her to continue, but she said "It is time for you to get ready. If allow me to live another night, I can finish the story." The sultan laughed. "I'm sorry but I cannot. I must marry a girl in the evening and have her killed in the morning. It was an entertaining story though."

So the sultan summoned the grand-vizir and commanded that Scherahazade be killed. The grand-vizir reluctantly did as he was told. "I'm sorry, my darling daughter. If only you had listened..."

Sadly, Scherahazade's plan did not work. The sultan was so overwhelmed from what his first wife had done that he could not allow for another one of his wives to live another day to (maybe) betray him.

The grand-vizir was so upset that he mourned for her all day. News spread that Scherahazade's plan had failed. Another bit of bad news had also spread. The sultan chose Dinarzade as his next wife.

The grand-vizir was furious. "How can the sultan take both of my daughters away from me?" he cried. He knew what he had to do to save his daughter.

Before the marriage, a feast was set up for the sultan and his future wife to enjoy. The grand-vizir snuck into the dining hall and poisoned the sultan's drink. Before Dinarzade was to meet the sultan for dinner, the grand-vizir stole his daughter away and ran.

The sultan had no idea that Dinarzade had left. He continued to dinner and sat down to wait for her. While waiting, he took a sip of his drink and died.

News spread that the sultan had died, but the grand-vizir and Dinarzade were long gone before the palace guards knew what had happened. But thanks to the grand-vizir, there weren't any more women being slaughtered.

Bibliography: Scherahazade from The Arabian Nights' Entertainment by Andrew Lang (1898).

6 comments:

  1. I was waiting for the happy ending..but it never came! Haha Great story though and very well written. You did a good job writing in context of the time period. I really enjoyed the flow of the overall story and the way it was presented. It kept me tuned in the entire time. Thanks for the good read, looking forward to reading more of your stories in the weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your story. You did a great job of retelling the original. The way that you spilt up the story made it easy to read. It was easy to follow along and I was able to picture what was going on. Since most of us have not read this unit, I would suggest adding more details to your author’s note.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Heather! I am really glad you re-wrote this story – I definitely enjoyed the original story, but I also found it rather un-believable that the sultan would simply let the one girl stay alive all for the sake of a story. However, I am glad that it did not end with her death but continued on so that the sultan would be stopped but by an unlikely character. Very minor grammatical correction – for the paragraph when the sultan won’t let her live, I would change it to “The sultan laughed, ‘I’m sorry, but I cannot…” so I would add a comma after laughed instead of a period and I would add a comma after “sorry.” Another thing I would change is later on. I would change the period between “another bit of bad news had also spread” to “—“ to link the next sentence to it since they are so related. Other than that, wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your version of the story. I think that if someone is going to be killing so many women after only being married to them one night, he is not going to stop just to hear a story. I highly doubt there would be a story that was that interesting that it would stop someone from killing a person. I liked how you made the story still have a bit of a happy ending though, even if it was not the ending that we would be expecting. The father was still able to save at least one of his daughters and he was able to stop the sultan from marrying women just to have them killed. So as a whole it still had a good ending. Overall, I think your story was well written and I did not notice any errors that I thought needed critiques. I think this story makes a great addition to a portfolio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. When I first opened up the story, I thought it was odd that you decided to put the author's note at the beginning instead of at the end, but I'm glad that you prepared me for what was going to happen. Even though the sultan got his in the end, it is still a real bummer of a story. I guess that means that you did a good job with the tone and everything stylistically. I liked how all of the paragraphs were chopped up, and short. There were a few commas that should be added here and there, but nothing seriously wrong.
    While I thought that your version of the story was much sadder, I guess it was more logical than the original telling. I don't think that the sultan would have stopped just to hear the end of the story, but who knows. Maybe Scherahazade was a crazy good storyteller. Anyways, it's a great story for the portfolio. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a twist to this story! I read the original of this story and was glad that the plan worked, but also questioned it logically. Also, I always wondered how Scherahezade could ever stand to be married to the Sultan after he had so many girls murdered! When I first read your author’s note, I was hoping that the grand-vizir would somehow kill the Sultan before he killed Scherahezade. However, it makes sense that he would be in such grief at the loss of his first daughter that he would commit treason and murder the Sultan to save his second daughter. I’m not sure that he would have been able to kill his first daughter, though! How awful that would be for him! I might suggest putting the author’s note at the end so as to not give away any of the surprises that might come in your story. Great job with this, though! It really was different from what I expected.

    ReplyDelete